What is an imperative sentence?
Imperative sentences are used to make statements like commands, suggestions and instructions. For example, parents and teachers use polite commands with children.
The subject of an imperative statement is always you. The subject you is not in the statement . Since the subject you is not in the statement, we begin the imperative statement with base form of the main verb.
- You play the guitar.
- You wash your hands.
- You eat these vegetables.
- Play the guitar.
- Wash your hands.
- Eat these vegetables.
Imperative statements begin with the base form of the main verb.
Do not include a subject in imperatives. The subject is always you.
- Get off of the bus.
- Walk on the grass.
- Cross the street.
- Do not get off the bus.
- Don’t walk on the grass.
- Do not cross the street.
Negative imperatives use the words do not or don’t before the base form of the main verb.
How do we make polite commands or suggestions?
Imperative statements are used to give commands, suggestions or directions. Polite commands use the word please before or after the imperative statement.
- Don’t jump on the couch.
- Take off your shoes outside.
- Do not go upstairs with your friends.
- Please don’t jump on the couch.
- Please take off your shoes outside.
- Please do not go upstairs with your friends.
Use the word please to make a polite command.
Suggestions use the words let us or let’s before the imperative statement.
- Buy some popcorn and soda for everyone.
- Don’t talk loud during the movie.
- Do not leave until the movie is over.
- Let’s buy some popcorn and soda for everyone.
- Let’s not talk loud during the movie.
- Let’s not leave until the movie is over.
Use the words let us or let’s to make a suggestion. Using the contraction let’s in suggestions is very common.
The contraction for let us is let’s.
What are some good examples of imperatives?
Using imperatives is very common in the English language. English speakers use imperatives to give statements like commands, suggestions, directions and instructions.
- You can learn English today. (command)
- You could learn English with a workbook. (polite command)
- May I please have a workbook? (suggestion)
- You might download the vocabulary exercises.
- You must watch the English videos. (necessity)
- You should get all three Basic ESL workbooks. (advice)
- You will learn some English vocabulary and grammar. (certainty)
- Would you please help your friend with their English? (request)
- Head south on Bellevue Way.
- Keep right at the fork.
- Follow signs for i-90 W/Seattle.
- Merge onto i-90 W
- Keep left at the fork.
- Follow signs for E Martinez Dr.
- Use the right lane to turn right onto E Martinez Dr.
- Turn right onto Railroad Way South.
- Sharp left onto Occidental Ave S.
- Arrive at location: CenturyLink Field.
- Boil water, salt and pepper to your taste.
- Put your favorite pasta in the boiling water.
- Stir pasta occasionally.
- Cook the pasta according to the package.
- Wait for the pasta to finish .
- Drain the pasta from the water.
- Toss your favorite sauce on the pasta.